Welcome to distance education at Cuesta College! My name is Marilyne Cleeves, and I will be your instructor in the upcoming online version of Introduction to Comptuer Applications using Office 2013 (CIS 210). This letter is to inform you of some important details prior to the commencement of the this online class. Please read this page carefully!!
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND REQUISITES
This course teaches beginning skill and problem solving abilities using word processing, spreadsheet and database applications to complete business projects:
TOPICS AND SCOPE
Introduction to Technology
- Computers, Mobile and Game Devices
- Data and Information
- The Internet, digital security and safety
- Program and Apps, Technology in Society today
Introduction to Word Processing
- Creating, Formatting, and Editing a Word Document with a Picture
- Creating a Research Paper with References and Sources
- Creating a Business Letter with a Letterhead and Table
Introduction to Presentation Software
- Creating and Editing a Presentation with Pictures
- Enhancing a Presentation with Pictures, Shapes and WordArt
- Reusing a Presentation and Adding Media and Animation
Introduction to Spreadsheets
- Creating a Worksheet and a Chart
- Formulas, Functions, and Formatting
- Working with Large Worksheets, Charting, and What-if Analysis
Introduction to Database Configuration
- Databases and Database Objects
- Querying a Database
- Maintaining a Database
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
The Student Learning Outcomes statements are a list of expected knowledge, skills, attitudes, competencies, and habits of mind that students are expected to acquire in this course. The outcomes for CIS210 are defined as follows:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the development and use of information systems in business
- Discuss security, ethical and privacy issues resulting from the use of computer technology.
- Demonstrate the process to create basic word processing documents, spreadsheets, databases and presentation software.
- Demonstrate application of the information systems concepts and methods through the completion of a comprehensive project using computer-based solutions to business problems.
Discovering Computers & Microsoft Office 365/Office 2016
Freund S.M., Last M.Z., Pratt P.J., Sebok S.L., Vermaat M.E., Campbell J.T., & Frydenberg M
Software –This course requires Office 2016. The book demonstrates techniques for Office 2016. As a Cuesta student, you can obtain a free 1-year subscription to Office 365/Office 2016 program for 1 year.
Click on the link, choose Cuesta College and you will see the special pricing for Cuesta Students.
Online Textbook Resources – You will need to register your name and email address with Cengage Learning in order to access the chapter reinforcement and extra credit activities. The following link explains that process:
After you have registered for the class you will find you are now registered for Canvas. You will need to follow these steps:
- From the Cuesta Website, Click on the Canvas Link
- You will be asked for a username and password. That information is the same as you myCuesta username.
- You will see all of the classes you are currently enrolled in listed in this area. If you have an additonal questions. I suggest watching the following video https://guides.instructure.com/m/4210/l/141852-canvas-overview-video
Each student is required to follow all school guidelines and comply with all school deadlines including personal responsibility for adding and/or dropping this class. Each student is responsible for obtaining updates or changes to the syllabus and/or assignments for the course.
If you have any further questions prior to the first day of class, please feel free to e-mail me. Otherwise, I will look forward to meeting you on
our scheduled meeting date.