English 201C, Composition: Critical Thinking
----January 22nd to May 24th----
Welcome potential students! My name is Matthew Fleming, and I look forward to working with you this semester. This course is a major commitment, as a 4-unit course should be; however, if you are willing to put in the time and effort, it will also be very interesting, creative, dynamic, and, dare I say. . . educational.
What you should know
- This course is 18 weeks of intensive study
- We have no face-to-face meetings
- You must participate in this course on an almost every-other-day basis
- You must write a minimum of 200 words a week in online forums
- You will have homework assignments and readings due once a week.
- You will write a series of essays including drafts and peer reviews
- You will be dropped if you fail to log in for more than 7 days and/or if your postings-to-forum or postings-to-homework percentage falls below 50%.
Instructor: Matthew Fleming
Phone: 546 3100 ext.2743
Course Description: English 201C, English Composition: Critical Thinking presents an advanced composition course beyond ENGL 201A which emphasizes critical thinking, including reasoning, rhetoric, reading, and information fluency in order to develop argumentative skills for diverse contexts and audiences.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate advanced critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Write arguments using advanced rhetorical and composition skills.
- Demonstrate information fluency.
Required Text: Writing Logically, Thinking Critically 8th Edition, by Cooper & Patton
You may purchase this textbook at a variety of websites and bookstores, including Cuesta College’s. Please make certain you purchase the 8th addition.
Required Regular and Effective Contact:
This course requires regular and effective contact among all students and the instructor for the full 18 weeks of the course. We will achieve this in a variety of ways:
- throughout the week postings in discussion and homework forums in Canvas
- weekly book homework readings and submissions,
- interactive online essay work-shopping through Canvas forums
- viewing of short video lectures and content
- writing of a series of essays using turnitin.com
PLEASE REVIEW THE IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND RESOURCES BELOW!!!
Canvas Browser requirements/minimum computer specifications: