Welcome to distance education at Cuesta College! My name is Jennifer Hubbard, and I will be your instructor for the 9 week online section of CIS 201. This letter is to inform you of some important details prior to the start of theclass.
This course is entirely online. There are no on-campus meetings.
Please take a look at the information below. If you have additional questions about the class, please feel free to contact me.
Important: course is a 9 week offering. This means that the course is accelerated. You will be learning a full semester’s worth of content in 9 weeks. Please don’t sign up for this class unless you are a strong independent learner. If you are not sure if you are suited to online classes, please take the survey at the link below:
Are online classes right for me?
This course presents an introduction to computer science principles. This includes techniques for problem analysis, software design, implementation, and verification with particular reference to object-oriented programming.
- Understand and convert between binary, hexadecimal, and decimal number systems.
- Design and interpret logic gates/circuitry, truth tables.
- Problem solving, algorithms in concrete and abstract form.
- Computer architecture, including memory, CPU.
- Differences and similarities between machine level programming and higher level languages.
- Applications for computer, including artificial intelligence, information systems, graphics, simulation.
- Learn decision, repetition, and classes in the programming language..
- Demonstrate the ability to devise tests that prove that an application is functioning properly.
The two textbooks required for this class are available from the Cuesta Bookstore:
- Computer Science Illuminated, 6th Edition by Nell Dale and John Lewis, ISBN: 978-1—284-05591-7
- You MUST have regular access to a PC in order to complete most of the assignments in this class. There are PCs available in the open lab on the San Luis Campus
- You must have regular internet access in order to complete the assignments in this class.
- You will need a 2GB Flash drive in order to transport files from home to class. In lieu of this you are welcome to email files back and forth to yourself, but you must make sure that your email server is equipped to handle occasional large files.
- You will need access to Netflix for several assignments in this course. Because we do not have class time to watch some of the films required for this course, you will be required to watch them on your own.
Most of your assignments will be submitted online through Canvas. You can access Canvas by going to https://cuesta.instructure.com/
Your user name and password will be the same as your MyCuesta user name and password.
Please make sure that you are familiar with all of the campus policies below:
Drop Policy: http://www.cuesta.edu/student/studentservices/admrreg/arpolicies/dropcourse.html
Academic Honesty Policy:
Tech Support Cuesta’s LMS: http://www.cuesta.edu/student/aboutacad/distance/technical_support.html
I am looking forward to meeting you. If you have any questions at all PLEASE contact me via email.