ECE 204, Distance Education
CHILD HEALTH, SAFETY & NUTRITION
Virginia Roof - Instructor
Welcome to ECE 204 DE! This course is entirely online via Canvas (https://cuesta.instructure.com/), including all coursework (discussions, assignments, quizzes, and exams). There are no face-to-face class meetings. Keep in mind that this course will require as much time as a traditional course, but you will find more flexibility and be able to complete coursework during times that work with your personal schedule.
Is an online class for you?
Are you self-motivated, self-directed, able to follow written instructions, and have the computer and writing skills necessary? Take the following survey to see if an online class is right for you: http://www.cuesta.edu/academics/distance/survey.html. Visit the following link to learn more about Distance Education at Cuesta College: http://www.cuesta.edu/academics/distance/index.html. Some frequently asked questions (FAQs) are answered here: http://www.cuesta.edu/academics/distance/faqs.html.
The California Community Colleges Online Education Initiative team has also put together a fantastic set of interactive tutorials and tools for students to ensure their success in online learning. Please check them out here: http://www.cuesta.edu/academics/distance/fac_de_resources/Student_Videos.html
Contacting the Instructor
- When the semester starts, I am available online to answer questions and address any concerns using the Canvas Inbox messaging feature exclusively. I will make every attempt to respond within 24 hours Monday-Friday.
- If you need to contact me prior to the start of start of the semester, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Always write ECE 204 DE on the subject line of these emails.
- If there is an emergency, you may leave a message with our Division Assistant: 805-546-3263.
Robertson, Cathie. “Safety, Nutrition, & Health in Early Education 6th Edition.” Wadsworth, Cengage Learning, 2016. ISBN-10: 1-305-08891-3 Weekly chapter readings are required, beginning the first week of the semester. You may choose to purchase the primary text in regular book format, looseleaf format, or as an e-book, whichever option works best for you.
Explores the interrelated roles of the home, the school, and the community in meeting the health, safety, and nutritional needs of the young child. Referral procedures to utilize community resources will be explored.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Assess strategies to maximize the mental and physical health of children and adults in programs for all young children in accordance with culturally, linguistic and developmentally sound practice. Distinguish aspects of quality in programs for young children as related to health and safety.
- Identify health, safety, and environmental risks in children’s programs. Demonstrate skills for referral to various community health agencies.
- Analyze the nutritional needs of children at various ages and evaluate the relationship between healthy development and nutrition.
- Evaluate regulations, standards, policies and procedures related to health, safety, and nutrition in support of young children, teachers and families. Evaluate the relationship between healthy development and nutrition and explore the nutritional needs of children at ages and stages.
- Distinguish aspects of quality in programs for young children as related to health and safety, acknowledging the value of collaboration with families and the community.
Access to the Course:
- You can log into the course on the first day of the semester. You can NOT access the course before the semester starts.
- When the semester starts, please log in right away so that you will not be dropped from the course. Mark your calendars! I will not contact you. Starting on day one of the semester, course information will be provided in Canvas.
- To log in, go to https://cuesta.instructure.com and follow the instructions.
- If you are having technical difficulties, please contact Cuesta Tech Support at email@example.com or access support online here: http://www.cuesta.edu/academics/distance/technical_support.html .
Be prepared to do reading in the textbook & complete your first weekly assignment in the first week of classes.
Support for distance learning & learning Canvas:
If you have a disability and might need accommodations in this class, please contact the instructor as soon as possible so that you can receive appropriate accommodations in a timely manner. You should also contact DSPS (Disabled Student Programs & Services) at 805-546-3148 or http://www.cuesta.edu/student/studentservices/dsps/index.html
College & Course Policies:
You can access the Cuesta College Admissions & Records Office for information on adding and dropping courses here: http://www.cuesta.edu/student/studentservices/admrreg/
Please review the Cuesta College Student Code of Conduct & Academic Honesty policy here:
Information about how the Cuesta College Waitlist works is posted here: http://www.cuesta.edu/student/studentservices/admrreg/arpolicies/Waitlist.html
For ECE 204, usually several students drop classes in the first week, so please plan to enroll in the course if you are on the WAITLIST. I will send an add code to students' mycuesta e-mail address the night before classes start, but be aware that add codes will not work until the first day of classes. Be ready on the day Instruction begins to log in to mycuesta e-mail, use the add code to add the course, and then log in to Canvas to begin coursework. ALL students (no matter when they register), will be held to the same assignment deadlines for this class. An Introductory Assignment is scheduled for the first week of classes, so be prepared to hit the ground running!
Minimum Computer Requirements:
You will need a reliable computer and internet connection, as well as a Cuesta e-mail account (check your Cuesta email before the beginning of the semester for course updates). Additionally, your computer needs to meet minimum system requirements to run Moodle, the web-based learning management system we are using. Please visit the following link to ensure that your computer meets those requirements:
Thanks & I look forward to “seeing” you online,
- Virginia Roof