Instructor: Neil Higgins
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone Number: 805-772-3008
Office Location/ Hours: Virtually Zoom Office Hours will be announced at the start of the semester.
Welcome to Distance Education (DE) at Cuesta College and ACCT 252A, Computerized Accounting with QuickBooks Online. My name is Neil Higgins and I will be your instructor for this course. This letter is to inform you of some of the important details prior to the start of this Fall 2023 DE Course. This class will be asynchronous, meaning that there is not a required ZOOM meeting time each week. This course runs 8-weeks, beginning on August 21st and ends on October 13th. You are encourage to continue your learning of QuickBooks Online by taking ACCT 252B which begins on October 16th and ends on December 8th.
Instructor Contact Expectations:
The best and fastest way to contact me is email. I will generally respond to your emails within 24 hours during weekdays only. During busy times of the semester, the response time may increase to 48 hours. On weekends, I will do my best to get back to you ASAP but I cannot guarantee an expeditious response.
This online course will be using a Web-based Learning Management System Canvas as the method to disseminate information. Canvas provides the framework for the course including lecture material, student data files, the tools to receive and send course materials, and a grade book. Using the communication tools, you can communicate using e-mail, and you can share materials and ideas with other course participants via the discussion forums and groups.
Class opens / Accessing Canvas:
You will see your course in Canvas on the first day of class. You can access Canvas by clicking on Canvas from the top bar of the Cuesta homepage (www.cuesta.edu), or by typing the Canvas address (https://cuesta.instructure.com/) into your browser address bar.
If you are not familiar with logging into canvas, please refer to the Canvas Quick Reference Guide. Once logged into Canvas you will be directed on where to get started. Be sure to read all the direction on the course home page.
If you are having difficulty logging into Canvas after [Enter Date] and need assistance please email me or technical support at this email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have never taken an online class or this is your first experience with Canvas, please be patient with yourself. Online classes are not inherently easier, although they may be much more convenient for many students. You should expect to spend at least as much time, if not more on this course as you would on a course that meets face to face. Since there is no lecture component, much of this time will be self-directed and there will be a substantial amount of reading, viewing, studying, and writing required. This course is completely online using Canvas; all coursework (discussions, assignments, quizzes) is submitted online. There are no face-to-face meetings. Please be prepared to spend 8 - 12 hours per week on coursework for this class
IS an ONLINE CLASS FOR YOU?
- First, go to the Cuesta College Canvas Tutorial (self-paced), there are many resources that were designed to help you understand the basis for an online class and the skills necessary for success. (If the tutorials do NOT describe you, then taking this class online is NOT for you and I strongly suggest that you drop the online class and enroll in a traditional classroom section.)
Regular Effective Contact policy:
Regular and Effective Instructor Contact will be met through weekly instructor initiated threaded discussion forums; weekly announcements to students; timely and effective feedback on student assignments; email, phone or messaging to individuals; and virtual office hours.
[add any additional contact policy, maybe include response time for questions, and how often student need to log in to class]
Provides students with the knowledge, skills, and practice needed to use microcomputers for accounting applications. Includes inputting and electronically managing general journal, specialized journals, financial statement analysis, payroll, inventory, accounts receivable, accounts payable, depreciation, and other accounting applications. Provides training for entry-level computerized bookkeepers, small business owners, and students pursuing further accounting courses.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Explain the use of computer accounting applications in the business world and the field of accounting in particular.
2. Use a computer accounting application to manage customer and supplier transactions. 3. Use a computer information system to manage bank and credit card transactions.
TextBook and Materials
- Computer Accounting with QuickBooks Online: A Cloud Based Approach, 4e Course materials will be delivered digitally via Canvas through the Cuesta Inclusive Access program. Students will access the course materials through the Canvas website on the first day of class to make sure there are no issues in the delivery. Students will automatically have access to the course materials on Day One. After the Cuesta add drop date, the student's bursar account will be billed at a discounted rate for the required course materials representing significant savings for students.
- Supplemental Materials necessary for the class:
- Additional software QuickBooks Online (This is FREE and I will explain how to sign up for it)
- Technology tools outside the LMS
- McGraw Hill Connect (included with Textbook)
- MS Office
- Adobe reader
Cuesta students are encouraged to direct all technical support inquiries to email@example.com. If you are having issues with Canvas, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having difficulty viewing the course or logging in, it may be because you are not using the correct url: https://cuesta.instructure.com/ or you are using your phone or using an unsupported browser.
Your learning environment is best accessed from a desktop or laptop computer, using Firefox or Chrome. This may solve your problem! Please review the browser requirements and minimum computer specifications
This course is designed using an accessible Learning Management System, and course materials have been created with ADA compliance in mind. If you have a disability and might need accommodations in this class such as extended time on exams or other resources. Please contact the instructor as soon as possible so that you can receive appropriate accommodations in a timely manner. You should also contact DSPS (Disabled Student Programs & Services) or at 805-546-3148.
College & Course Policies:
Academic Honesty Policy: [Identify your course specific academic honesty policy]. In addition to my course policy, please note all students attending San Luis Obispo County Community College District at any district site and when representing Cuesta College in any off-campus activity, assume an obligation to conduct themselves in an acceptable manner compatible with the Student Code of conduct. Please review the Cuesta College Student Code of conduct.
Add / Drop Policy: Please review the Cuesta policy for drops
Waitlist Policy: Please review Cuesta’s waitlist procedure and instructions