Welcome to distance education at Cuesta College! My name is Marilyne Cleeves, and I will be your instructor in the upcoming online version of Outlook 2019 (CIS 154). This letter is to inform you of some important details prior to the commencement of the this online class. Please read this page carefully!!
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND REQUISITES
Introduces the functions of an integrated, electronic desktop information management (DIM) system. MS Outlook assists in scheduling, organizing, tracking, e-mail messaging, note taking, calendaring, contacting information, and can be used as a data source in collaboration
with MS Word, Excel, and Access. Advisory: CIS 210.
TOPICS AND SCOPE
- Introducing the electronic management program with an overview of what can be done with the various components. Recognize knowledge of technical vocabulary relevant to subject matter of the course.
- Adding contact information, organizing the contacts list and viewing its information in various ways. Arrange and set up contacts.
- Using the e-mail component of the electronic management program to send, read and respond to e-mail messages, as well as, organize messages for maximum efficiency. Compose with e-mail.
- Using the calendar component to schedule appointments, set up a recurring appointment, allocate time for longer events, plan meetings and send out meeting requests. Formulate a schedule for new and recurring appointments.
- Keeping track of tasks and projects in an electronic to-do list by managing and prioritizing tasks. Set up items for logging and using journal tracking.
- Finding information on the World Wide Web, exploring electronic newsgroups, discussing online etiquette; also, chatting, collaborating and video conferencing using NetMeeting. Apply electronic integrated personal management program using the Internet.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Recognize knowledge of technical vocabulary relevant to subject matter of the course.
- Arrange and set up contacts.
- Compose with e-mail.
- Formulate a schedule for new and recurring appointments.
- Set up items for logging and using journal tracking.
- Apply electronic integrated personal management program using the Internet.
We will be using software named Mindtap to complete some of the assignments and all the assessments. This software comes with a digital copy of the textbook.
Cengage Unlimited - Access (1 Semester) -- This contains access the Online materials that include; the digital textbook; the MindTap; and the SAM activities we will be using for the course. The access is good for 120 days.
- ISBN10: 0357700007
- ISBN 13: 9780357700006
ISBN#: 9780357375402 Looseleaf - Includes 180 days of online course materials. Available in the Cuesta Bookstore.
Office 365 has two components:
- The online version (accessed through your web browser).
- The desktop version (free as a download to Cuesta Students).
STUDENTS USE THE DESKTOP VERSION FOR THIS CLASS.
If you do not have a copy of MS Office on your computer, I suggest you download the free copy of Office 365 for Cuesta students. The following link will get you started.
(Links to an external site.)OFFICE 365 FOR EDUCATION (Links to an external site.)(Link) (Links to an external site.)
Make sure you register with your Cuesta email address.
Click here to download Office 365 - Free to Cuesta Students.pdf
Mac User (Suggestion)
Office 365 does have a Mac version of Office 365; however, there are some significant differences in the Mac version of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint that I have found make it difficult for students to learn some of the processes we are teaching in our Cuesta courses. If possible this is what I suggest for Mac users:
- Install a version of Parallels (Links to an external site.) on your Mac (Journey Ed has this for Cuesta Students - $39.95 (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.))
- Purchase a download of Windows 10 or 11 (Links to an external site.) (Journey Ed has this for Cuesta Students - $144 (Links to an external site.)). After you have installed a Windows 10 version, install your free WINDOWS version of Office 365. It will work on your Mac and you will then have the programs you need including MS Access that will not work on the Mac operating system.
EXTRA NOTE: If you have the new MAC "M" processor in your machine, I suggest Windows 11. The program will work with either copy of Windows but you may run into issues with other applications and Windows 11 helps eliminate those issues.
After you have registered for the class you will find you are now registered for Canvas. You will need to follow these steps:
- From the Cuesta Website, Click on the Canvas Link
- You will be asked for a username and password. That information is the same as you myCuesta username.
- You will see all of the classes you are currently enrolled in listed in this area. If you have an additional questions. I suggest watching the following Canvas Student Orientation Videos.
Each student is required to follow all school guidelines and comply with all school deadlines including personal responsibility for adding and/or dropping this class. Each student is responsible for obtaining updates or changes to the syllabus and/or assignments for the course.
If you have any further questions prior to the first day of class, please feel free to e-mail me. Otherwise, I will look forward to meeting you on
our scheduled meeting date.