Are you interested in helping others achieve their Wellness goals? Maybe you want to learn more about behavior change and wellness to improve your fitness? This is the class for you! You do NOT need to be a fitness professional to take this course, this course can be leveled to meet all students.
Course: KINE 219
Instructor: Allison Head
Email Address: email@example.com
Office Hours: To be determined one week prior to the start of class.
Instructor Contact Expectations:
The best and quickest way to reach me is via email. I generally respond to your emails within 24-48 hours during weekdays only. Note: I will contact you frequently through announcements so please check those daily.
This online course will be using Canvas as the method to distribute information. Canvas provides the framework for the course, including all assignments, quizzes, discussion questions and all the tools to receive and send course materials. Also, it is through Canvas that you will send me messages, receive announcements, and access the grade book.
Note: The class Canvas page will be available approximately one week prior to the class start date. You can preview the site (no work submittal) and review the syllabus at that time.
Prior to the first date of class, you will receive an email to your my.Cuesta.edu as a reminder that class will be starting. You will see your course in Canvas on the first day of class. You can access Canvas by clicking on Canvas from the top bar of the Cuesta homepage (www.cuesta.edu), or by typing the Canvas address (https://cuesta.instructure.com/) into your browser address bar.
If you are not familiar with logging into canvas, please refer to the Canvas Quick Reference Guide Once logged into Canvas you will be directed on where to get started. Be sure to read all the direction on the course home page.
If you are having difficulty logging into Canvas after the first day of class and need assistance please email me or technical support at this email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have never taken an online class or this is your first experience with Canvas, please be patient with yourself. Online classes are not inherently easier, although they may be much more convenient for many students. You should expect to spend at least as much time, if not more on this course as you would on a course that meets face to face. Since there is no lecture component, much of this time will be self-directed and there will be a substantial amount of reading, viewing, studying, and writing required. This course is completely online using Canvas; all coursework (discussions, assignments, quizzes) is submitted online. There are no face-to-face meetings. Please be prepared to spend 8 - 12 hours per week on coursework for this class.
IS an ONLINE CLASS FOR YOU?
Go to the Cuesta College Canvas Tutorial (self-paced). There are many resources that were designed to help you understand the basis for an online class and the skills necessary for success. (If the tutorials do NOT describe you, then taking this class online is NOT for you and I strongly suggest that you drop the online class and enroll in a traditional classroom section.)
Regular Effective Contact Policy
Regular and Effective Instructor Contact will be met through weekly instructor initiated threaded discussion forums; weekly announcements to students; timely and effective feedback on student assignments; email, or messaging to individuals; and virtual office hours.
I encourage you to log into this course regularly, use the “How Do I…” forum in class, and participate actively in group discussions.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Communicate effectively with clients/participants in a wellness setting.
2. Facilitate client/participant awareness related to wellness program participation, goal setting, and accountability.
3. Demonstrate effective wellness coaching behaviors in the fitness setting.
Course Description and Objectives
Offers students, interested in working as Fitness Professionals, the tools to promote behavior change and a foundation for a healthy lifestyle with clients. Trains students to coach clients of all backgrounds ways to discover movement through fitness, improve wellness habits, and make healthier decisions for themselves and their families.
- Describe the concepts of Wellness as a dynamic and ever-changing lifestyle that is determined by health and fitness choices, as well as heredity factors that are personal to each individual.
- Evaluate and assess one's own health and wellness profile.
- Define the four parameters of physical fitness for lifetime health and wellbeing.
- Prescribe a personal exercise program based on the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) guidelines and all four parameters of physical fitness.
- Log and track exercise and dietary habits and establish fitness and nutrition goals.
- Participate in scheduled fitness and nutritional assessments to assess one's progress.
- Apply scientific and psychological behavior change practices to complement exercise and nutritional habits to achieve established goals toward healthful lifestyle changes.
- Compare the basic functions and requirements of the six classes of nutrients and evaluate their balance in relation to disease and wellness.
- Judge the effect of nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle factors that contribute to chronic disease.
- Describe the factors influencing energy balance and weight change strategies.
- Describe and utilize primary tools (DRI's, Dietary Guidelines, MyPlate, and Nutricalc Dietary Analysis) to assess nutritional adequacy or quality and improve one's diet.
- Evaluate local wellness resources to assist in self-assessments and implementation and maintenance of a wellness lifestyle.
For the official course description and course outline of record please go to CurricUNET: http://www.curricunet.com/Cuesta/search/course
Textbook and Materials
- This course uses all online (OER) materials at no expense to the student.
- A fitness/wellness journal of your choosing.
- Technology tools outside of Canvas
Cuesta students are encouraged to direct all technical support inquiries to email@example.com. If you are having issues with Canvas, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having difficulty viewing the course or logging in, it may be because you are not using the correct URL: https://cuesta.instructure.com/ or you are using your phone or using an unsupported browser.
Your learning environment is best accessed from a desktop or laptop computer, using Firefox or Chrome. This may solve your problem! Please review the browser requirements and minimum computer specifications
This course is designed using an accessible Learning Management System, and course materials have been created with ADA compliance in mind. If you have a disability and might need accommodations in this class such as extended time on exams or other resources. Please contact the instructor as soon as possible so that you can receive appropriate accommodations in a timely manner. You should also contact DSPS (Disabled Student Programs & Services) or at 805-546-3148.
Course & College Policies
- Use respectful and appropriate language in your forum discussions.
- Please do not use texting language such as “lol”.
- Emoticons are acceptable ways to show emotion.
- You are expected to read all forum posts.
- You are to respond to the appropriate number of posts for each forum.
- All messages are public, so be careful and courteous when you post.
- Make your posts thorough and your replies as well.
- Complete sentences and thoughts are mandatory for forum posts.
- Use a person's name when you reply to his/her post.
Academic Honesty Policy
In addition to the behavior expectations noted above, please note all students attending San Luis Obispo County Community College District at any district site and when representing Cuesta College in any off-campus activity, assume an obligation to conduct themselves in an acceptable manner compatible with the Student Code of conduct. Please review the Cuesta College Student Code of conduct