Top of Form
Welcome to Nutrition 232 HYBRID Course FALL 2023 (CRN 73655)
Instructor: Caryn Coffman, M.A.R.D.
Important “Get Started” Dates:
You may begin accessing and you are expected to access the course in Canvas on the first day of class. (available on Canvas beginning August 13, 2023)
- Lecture and Lab are both asynchronous online this semester.
Welcome and special announcements!
- Be sure to take the “Student Readiness Quiz”: http://www.cuesta.edu/student/aboutacad/distance/survey.htmlLinks to an external site.Links to an external site.before signing up for the course. (Read your results and explanations).
- This Principles of Food class is for the motivated and online-savvy student.
- This is nota work-at-your-own-pace class. You will have assignments due each week.
- The Lecture and Lab portions of this class are online.
Instructor Contact Information:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Use Canvas messaging after course begins)
- When the semester starts, I am available online (click on Canvas messages to contact me). I will respond within 24-48 hours, Monday-Friday.
- Make sure you are receiving weekly Canvas messages and regular announcements from me.
Nutrition 232: Principles of Food with Lab
Applies food science principles with emphasis on ingredient function and interaction, food preparation techniques, sensory evaluation standards, food safety and sanitation, and nutritional values.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic fundamentals of food science, food service, and food preparation as it pertains to the industry, by actual hands on preparation of products with the basic understanding of nutrition retention through proper cooking techniques and the requirements of kitchen set-up as needed in a productive atmosphere.
- Demonstrate the skills to prepare all of the food groups and the special techniques of each of their preparations through recipes, as well as special requirements of the customer, i.e. nutrition and dietary requirements
- Apply the knowledge, tools, and learned skills of food safety and sanitation as they pertain to the requirements of the professional kitchen.
You will also need to purchase the following materials:
Brown, A, Understanding Food, Principles and Preparation (6th edition), Cengage, Stamford (2019)
- To enhance your learning experience and provide affordable access to the right course material, this course is part of an inclusive access model called First Day™. You can easily access the required materials for this course at a discounted price, and benefit from single sign-on access with through Canvas.
- Cuesta College will bill you at the discounted price as a course charge for this course. Your course materials may be accessed digitally through your Canvas account either on or before the first day of class. Although an optional print copy of the book is available at the campus bookstore, NO other purchase is necessary. Your course material charge is included in your student registration / fees and guarantees the lowest cost available for your required materials.
- It is NOT recommended that you Opt-Out, as these materials are required to complete the course. You can choose to Opt-Out on the first day of class, but you will be responsible for purchasing your course materials at the full retail price and access to your materials may be suspended.
- For more information and FAQs go to customercare.bncollege.com (Links to an external site.).
- Student Tutorial Videos
- Accessing Your eTextbook: https://vimeo.com/304674236 (Links to an external site.)
- Opting Out of First Day for your eTextbook: https://vimeo.com/304674616 (Links to an external site.)
- Opting Out of First Day for your courseware: https://vimeo.com/304674959 (Links to an external site.)
- Other Features on the Course Materials page: https://vimeo.com/304675344
- You need a reliable computer (generally no more than 4 years old) and an Internet connection that will not lose service in the middle of an exam.
- You need a Cuesta e-mail account (check your Cuesta email every day).
- Your computer needs to meet minimum system requirements: http://www.cuesta.edu/student/aboutacad/distance/faqs_technical.htmlLinks to an external site.Links to an external site.
- Your computer must have all of the capabilities of viewing YouTube, pdfs, PowerPoints, etc.
- You must use Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Chrome for Connect.Please avoid Internet Explorer.
College and Course Policies:
Course-specific add-drop policy
- You will likely be dropped if you are inactive in Canvas for more than 7 days.
- Adds will be guaranteed to the top 10 students on the waitlist.
- Cuesta policy for drops: http://academic.cuesta.edu/admrreg/infodate.htmLinks to an external site.Links to an external site.
- Cuesta Academic honesty policy (Student Code of Conduct & Computer Technology Access Agreement): http://academic.cuesta.edu/president/2008BP/BP5000/AP%205500_Standards%20of%20Conduct.pdfLinks to an external site.Links to an external site.
Course-specific waitlist procedure
- The Cuesta automatic waitlist is in effect until 24 hours before class begins.
- Remember that many students can get into this class by the waitlist procedure if they check their email daily; you are given 24 hours to accept your spot through the Cuesta College waitlist process.
- I will give add codes to waitlisted students one day before class.
- If you are on the waitlist when notifications close Sunday 12:00 am then email me to request an add code, giving me your full name, Cuesta email,and course CRN.
- Students have until Wednesday night (11:59 pm) to enter their add codes.
- All students (no matter when they register) will be held to the same deadlines for this class.
- All students should have read the Welcome Letter in its entirety prior to enrolling in my DE classes.
- Cuesta waitlist procedure and instructions: http://academic.cuesta.edu/admrreg/waitlist.htmLinks to an external site.Links to an external site.
Grades: You are responsible for following your grades in Canvas and waiting to email the instructor until 1 week after assignments are due with questions. You are also responsible for any final grade question by the last day of final exams. Grades will not be updated for any reason after the Friday of the last day of classes so check them!
Accessing Course LMS (Learning Management System)- Canvas:
Students will use Canvas (syllabus, grades, materials, directions, links, videos, discussion board, assignments, messaging, conferencing, etc.) for this course.
Canvas Quick Reference for getting into Canvas:
http://www.cuesta.edu/student/documents/distance_ed_students/Canvas_Quick_Reference_Students.pdfLinks to an external site.Links to an external site.
Note: All students receive a myCuesta email that can be accessed through the myCuesta Portal (my.cuesta.edu). If you do not want to use this email you can login to myCuesta and set this email to be forwarded to any other email.
If you are having technical difficulties with the login, contact tech support at email@example.com .
Student Readiness & Time Requirement:
Computer Skills necessary to succeed in the course:
- You are expected to already the computer skills for an online class such as saving in pdf, manipulating and attaching files, and using different forms of interactive computer programs.
- Computer assistance will not be available for this course. Please consider the half unit- Intro to Online- course before taking this course.
Time requirements necessary to succeed in the course:
- You have something due each week in this course.
- You may work ahead if assignments are open, but “Discussion/Forum” responses must be done the week they are due.
- You will notice partial grades in the Discussion Board as the instructor reads through and grades the posts. Please do not be concerned with grades until the instructor messages you to check grades each week because she may read one of your posts one day and a reply to a different post a few days later.
- If you have a disability and might need accommodations (support services) in this class, please contact Disabled Student Program & Services in Building 3300 as soon as possible to ensure that you receive the accommodations in a timely manner. http://academic.cuesta.edu/acasupp/dsps/Links to an external site.Links to an external site.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you are properly enrolled in the course!
- You need to check your junk mail if you are not receiving instructor emails weekly in your inbox.
- All Exams are timed-the time runs out. Do not click on the exam until you are ready to take it or your time will run out.
See you in class!
Bottom of Form